Written by JONAH\\\'s Directors
JONAH is frequently asked for referrals to therapists or counselors who are experienced in working with those who are unhappy feeling same-sex attraction. We provide referrals if we are familiar with a therapist who lives in the required geographical area and at times we recommend telephone therapy. However, there are times when we do not have a particular therapist to recommend and/or one of our members wants to interview a new therapist.
In order to be sure the prospective therapist or counselor you are interviewing understands fully the concepts involved in reparative or change therapy, we have compiled a list of questions you can ask to determine if this is the right person for you to work with.
If you find a therapist who is effective in treating unwanted same-sex attraction, please contact us with the name so we can speak with him/her and perhaps add this person to our referral list.
Here are basic questions you can ask of any therapist:
These five questions are taken directly from Anne Paulk\\\'s 2003 book:
Restoring Sexual Identity: Hope for Women Who Struggle with Same-Sex Attraction (page 115).
- Do you believe that men and women are "born gay?"
- Do you believe that wanting to leave homosexuality is harmful or dangerous?
- Do you believe that change is even possible?
- Can you support me in my desire to change?
- Have you read relevant research concerning the topics of gender identity disorder,
homosexuality, and family structure?
The following six questions or requests are taken directly from Richard Cohen\\\'s 2000 book:
Coming Out Straight: Understanding and Healing Homosexuality (page 115).
- Please tell me about your education and training in this area of sexual reorientation
- What therapeutic modalities do you use? Please explain them in simple layman\\\'s
- Have you worked with others who have transitioned out of homosexuality?
- What is your success rate in doing this kind of work?
- Do you believe in God? (If important: What is your religious faith?)
- Have you done your own healing work?