Video conferencing is a form of telecommunications in which participants join online meetings using devices with built-in cameras. It can also be called video telephony, video calls, video chat or web conferencing. Can Webex do video conferencing?
The history of video conferencing systems began in the early 20th century, when research into technologies such as television and radio prompted sellers to explore the possibility of adding live video channels to these forms of communication. However, video conferencing solutions developed before the 1990s were impractical because they could only be operated at a low cost per second, resulting in unrealistic image quality.
With the advent of the Internet Protocol (IP) package in the 1990s, video conferencing has finally become profitable. Using a computer connected to the Internet, participants can chat in real time, adding an extra dimension to online interaction.
Since then, continuous improvements in Internet connectivity have resulted in better video quality, including support for HD (1920 x 1080 pixels) and higher displays. Laptops, desktops, smartphones, tablets and dedicated video conferencing systems can now connect to video conferencing via Webex Meetings and other services.
- Many video conferencing functions for free.
- The first high definition (HD) videos that bring you face to face.
- Toll dial-in or Voice over IP (VoIP) that use your computer to connect your audio to video conferencing.
- Many video views, including active speaker and thumbnail views, grid view, free view.
- Sharing desktop screen, applications, files and whiteboard.
- The Webex personal room, which serves as your own virtual office to immediately start meetings, plan ahead or leave open spaces for guests.
- Calendar integrations, including Google and Microsoft.
- Sharing rich content and screen, e.g. Video or animation at 30 frames per second
- Record meetings in easy-to-share MP4 files.
Do I need a Webex account to join the meeting?
You don’t need a Webex account to join the meetings you are invited to. You need an email invitation containing the information you need to join the meeting.
Ask the meeting organizer for an invitation.
Benefits of using webex
Thanks to Webex, you get two services in one: Webex Meetings and Webex Teams. Webex Meetings is a comprehensive video conferencing solution that can hold meetings with up to 200 participants simultaneously. It’s nice that everyone in the meeting can be at the camera at the same time. In addition, Webex Meetings offers all the necessary video conferencing features, including screen sharing and meeting recording.
The second service, Webex Teams, is a separate platform that all Webex Meetings users have access to. Using the Teams application, employees can collaborate in one digital place. Employees can send messages to each other, conduct video calls, organize group meetings, share files and send ideas using whiteboard tools.